So I promised you some crafty goodness with a snapshot of the felt skull I had been working on and crazily enough I actually finished my project. It had been rattling round in my head all week so with my extra day off I took over the lounge floor and got my craft on ^_^. As I may have mentioned I am going to the Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo this weekend and I am getting all flashed up to go! For my black and corsety attire I needed an equally awesome hair piece, so here is what I made (almost step by step for you).
This is my all time favourite ribbon…well its actually bias binding but anyway! So I started by measuring out the length of the ribbon lengths I would need. Oddly enough I cut 11 pieces of ribbon and folded them in half.
It took me a little bit to fiddle round with the ribbon to figure out how I wanted to layer it. I did half at a time since it was quite thick and needed super gluing as I went. I super glued it to tack it into place.
So once the first half was tacked into place I layered the second half, also tacking it into place with super glue.
After I had the base all stuck together I cut out two felt circles and heated up my glue gun.
I placed a felt circle on both the front and the back of the base. I find that the felt allows me to stick things onto the ribbon alot easier and it also make everything look a lot tidier. Specially since there were lots of ribbon ends in the middle. I also added a lot of hot glue to keep all the ribbon pieces together.
Now I’m just gonna come out and be honest with you, I was not following any plan or guide when I was making this. It was all in my head and I was making it up as I went along. I just cut pieces of my lace trim willy nilly and placed them on the base until they looked nice and then I glued the crap out of it 😄
Then again with excess amounts of hot glue I stuck my felt skull (here’s one I made earlier XD) onto the lace front. This was when it really started to look like what I had in my head.
It didn’t look quite finished yet so I found some bead and ribbon and glued the crap out of them too.
Again I’m just making it up as I go along. However remember to add a little clear nail polish or super glue to the ends of your ribbons to strengthen them *serious face*
Once I was happy with my little creation I added the findings to the back again this is made a lot easier by the felt. I added both a brooch pin and a hair clip so it could be multipurpose.
So now I just need to make up my mind on what I am going to wear to Armageddon now. I promise to take photos and let you know how it goes. If you have any questions about making the hair pieces give me a buzz. And remember all these pictures belong to me.