Quiche always comes across as healthy but then you take into account the pastry and then all your hopes of healthy lunch/dinner is gone. My mother found this recipe and altered it, she even altered it so far to make it gluten free for my younger brother. So all credit goes to my amazing mother. So today’s recipe is for self crusting quiche that really is guilt free.
You will need:
1 Large potato
1 Brown onion
3 cloves of garlic
200g of feta ( I used reduced salt feta)
Spinach (enough that it would fill a baking bowl)
1 Cup skim milk
3/4 Cup self-raising flour (you can subsitute for 3/4 cup regular flour with 1 tsp of baking powder)
3/4 tsp salt
Preheat over to 220 degrees celcius
1. Wilt the spinach with boiling water in a colander and press all the water out. No soggy spinach if possible.
2. Chop the garlic and onion finely and then cook in a little oil until the onion is transparent-ish
3.Peel your potato and slice thinly, then put in a micorwave safe dish. Cover with water and cook on high for 5-6mins. Also drain these.
4. Place the potato slice on the bottom of a oven proof dish. Remeber to spray this lightly with cooking spray.
5. On top of the potato scatter the cubed feta and the wilted spinach. (Do this while the onion and garlic are cooling).
6.In a bowl mix the garlic, onion, egg, milk, flour and salt. Do not over mix the mixture we want to form a crust on the bottom of the quiche.
7. Pour over the top of the potato, spinach and feta. Make sure you pour into all the gaps.
8. Place in the over and cook for 20-30 minutes. Or until golden on the top.
This really is a fail proof recipe that is good to whip out when you have quests or when you want a nice easy dinner. It also tastes good the next day, cold or warmed through.
So if you give it a go let me know how it comes out.